Sunday, September 27, 2009

About Patrick's computer experience

Well, it seems that I did not read the instructions for this assignment carefully enough. I need to have two entries up by midnight tonight (Sunday Sept., 27). This is something that I will need to give more attention to, reading with understanding.

This entry will be about me and my experience with computers and productivity software. Like most of you, I have been using computers for personal pursuits and just plain fun for a good number of years now. I have some experience using computers in the workplace as well, but have not needed to use the typical office software that will be covered in the class I am taking.

The places where I have used computers at work did not employ MS word or excel, at least not in my departments. Instead we used a system called Lightspeed. This was a menu driven system, designed for use in automotive shops. It had functions for creating and tracking service repair orders, inventory tracking, parts invoicing and many other things that I did not use.

At home I have used a variety of applications, including Quicken, Turbo Tax, and word processors. These have been very helpful at times and very frustrating at times. Usually my lack of experience and understanding of how to use them has been the root of my frustrations. Things like not being able to find a file after I saved it, not being able to do something I thought the application was capable of doing, or not being able to access a feature that I know came with the operating system(such as the snip tool).

I am taking this computer class to learn how to be more adept at using my computer, and because today's job skills are demanding more computer savvy employees. Having proper training with productivity software and a better working knowledge of basic computer functions can only help me in my career.

Patrick Russell

5 comments:

  1. Hello all you happy people.

    I've been computing since the late 80's and I still don't know what a "snip" tool is.

    I remember Lightspeed. I never actually used it, but I did repair it a few times. LOL Lightspeed was a mainframe powered by Linux that served both dumb-terminals and smart-terminals. This was used at the Honda Motorcycle dealership and helped to run most every aspect of the shop. I think the biggest single thing it was good at was parts orders for the Parts Department. During the day, as parts were sold, or special orders were made, Lightspeed would track all this and make one call to the warehouse after hours. The dumb-terminals were just a Monochrome Monitor and a Keyboard while the smart-terminals where PC's using a special interface software. That was back in the days when PC's were still IBM PC's and Mac's were still Apples.

    On a separate note, the Dashboard that is a part of this BlogSpot has informed me that none of your topics are titled. If you don't give it a title, part of the opening sentence is used to simulate a title.

    If you are looking for a spell-check tool to work with Blog's and Forum's, try iSpell
    http://www.iespell.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob,
    I will Start including titles.
    The snip tool is a new accessory MS included with Vista. if you are running XP,or your older server OS, you will not have the snippy tool. The snip tool allows one to take a snap shot of a selected portion of the screen.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, a good old screen dump. Has been many a tool made over the years to do that. Who's code did Bill Gates steal this time and call his own? I have Vista 64...will check into this "snip" thing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. That was easy. A handy tool to know about.

    ReplyDelete